Thursday, September 27, 2007

SEPTEMBER MOON

A big orange moon hangs in the sky
And whistles a soft lullaby
She chuckles gently o'er the spell
She casts across our wishing wells

On such a night dreams dare come true
Magic is found on evening dew
The moonlit path will lead the way
For fairy tunes and elves that play
Along the edges of the wood
Beneath the fringe of autumn's hood

Come out, come out! Come sing and dance
Come join the moonlight's breathless trance
Let laughter sprinkle on the breeze
And music whisper through the trees

A summer lays aside her cloak
The golden hickory, russet oak
Will soon be glist'ning, bare of limb
And lunar light will sing a hymn
Of shifting seasons; changing scenes
Between the layers of our dreams

The big orange moon turns almost white
Bathing the field in shimm'ry light
A vision that cannot remain
When winds blow in a welcome rain

But e'er she slips behind a cloud
The moom and meadow laugh out loud

(pjt 9/27 - perhaps I should title this one "lunar lunacy" :)

1 comment:

Lindah said...

Hi- I'm a little behind on my blog reading lately. I hope you catch my tardy comment. I read your poem with delight. And a chuckle! With the full harvest moon and the cooler autumn breeze, I feel like kicking up my heels in the meadow moonlight, too!

Keepin on writing those delightful poems!

Blessings,
Linda H in CA