Sunday, August 13, 2006

WAITING ROOMS


Does that title make you inwardly sigh or groan? I can see where it might. I’ve done a few waiting room stints in my time – most of them in medical facilities. Not fun.

Still a part of the waiting room syndrome is dear to me – opportunities to show love and concern, to be supportive of others’ needs, to share a burden, to pray together…or to be on the receiving end of all such goodness.

Of all the lessons found in waiting rooms, this is the dearest to my heart: learning to wait upon the Lord. We live such busy, rushed lives. But when life hangs in the balance we wait and know that God controls the minutes, the hours, the outcome. What heavenly comfort. The Psalmist said it best:

I wait for the Lord, my soul waits
And in His word I do hope.
My soul waits for the Lord
More than those who watch for the morning –
Yes, more than those who watch for the morning. (Ps. 130:5-6)

The context here is forgiveness/redemption, but is not the loving-kindness of our Lord our salvation in every dilemma? We want answers now, if not yesterday; we borrow trouble. We need not be in such a hurry. We need not be anxious. The answers and tomorrow are in the Lord’s hands. Surely we can wait on Him – and learn patience, praise, trust and comfort in the waiting.


Wait on the Lord;
Be of good courage,
And He shall strengthen your heart;
Wait, I say, on the Lord!

Ps.27:14

1 comment:

Susan said...

Timely reminder in my life, that I should read this post this morning. =) Okay, back to waiting . . . somewhat patiently.