Monday, May 21, 2007

NO HANGOVERS


My last few weeks have been spent in the throws of a little computer job – revising nutrition charts for a former WVDE boss. There were some 160 documents – a few with only one page, a few with 10-15 pages, but most between 3-5 pages that needed format revisions. You do the math. I logged in 58 hours before the job was done; but that just means I’m old and rusty – not that the job was difficult enough to hang over my head. I rather enjoyed it for the most part. Now it’s saved off my computer for later delivery and I can move along to other things.

This morning it was rather exciting to drag out my sewing machine for a change. I sewed the binding (first round) on a quilt. Nines did a super job quilting it and the way she trims the edges when she is through makes binding a breeze. The hand work can wait for break times.

Other lovely things that are waiting in the wings, but not hanging over my head came from Nines as a mother’s day remembrance. Every day is mother’s day for me! Gotta love her boxes, though! I should have included the journal that came in her last box, but forgot. Anyway, aren’t those flannels just luscious? And I love the circle quilt pieces. I’ve been fascinated with that concept for a while, but afraid to try it. The kit titled "Wheel of Mystery Quilt" should keep it from being a permanent mystery. (And that bamboo stiletto came just in time, Isobel :) The candle smells like a high Arizona meadow – clean juniper spice…mmmmmm!

The white toweling is remnants of Nines’ turbie towel making. Guess she made 8, for there are 8 each dish cloths and towels for serging - all nicely squared. When I was a girl we called dish cloths “dish rags” and tea towels “dish cloths” – we were perhaps too hillbilly or not southern enough for dish cloths and tea towels. These may return to IN when edged.

Pinto beans are soaking – to go with cornbread and green onions from the garden. Nothin’ wrong with hillbilly roots, you know. The lettuce will be ready to thin out and use this week, too. That means wilted lettuce! We’ve been eating fresh asparagus about every other day, too. Before we know it will be goods things from the garden of the jolly green gardener; no meat required.

Since the machine is up, I can finish off a postcard or two. Or maybe I’ll get out the serger and edge those rags.

2 comments:

Isobel said...

We probably didn't call them tea towels because we never drank tea. Adults got coffee and kids got milk...guess we should have called them 'coffee' towels.

Nines said...

Glad you liked your goodies and the blue thing. I don't think he'll guess what you are up to. Love you!