Saturday, May 26, 2007

RAG BAG MANAGERIE



When Grandma Oe had a rag bag it contained just that – clothing worn to rags. The most threadbare parts became cleaning rags and the more serviceable parts were used for piecing quilts. By true rag bag standards, my most recent acquisition might be considered up-scale. It was given to me by DH’s Aunt and contained all unused pieces of fabric.

But some things can almost wear out with time, you know? I haven’t a notion how long these pieces were hoarded and I’m afraid to ask. What to do? Too old and sheer for piecing! I’m trying to be older and wiser – at least more discerning about the quality that goes into a quilt.


SO…APRONS! Half a dozen big and little.

Most of the pieces survived laundering, but still smell a tiny bit musty to me. More fabric softener next time. The plum is so sheer it may not wear ‘til the first batch of bread gets hot; I couldn’t resist putting heart-shaped pockets on the valentine print; and at least the 30’s quilt-plate print has a nice feel to it. As for the pink nightgowns, they are from my own left-over waffle knit. Their first line summer dresses are cut out ready to sew/serge up next week. (So Nines’ girls can wear pink night and day!:) That serger surely makes quick work of things.


The shiny 70's double-knit from Aunt M's bag are cut for play pants. Seems slick knit is back in style. Or maybe the swings will close their eyes. More importantly, it will do Aunt M's heart more good than I can imagine to know her rag bag didn't go straight to the garbage bag.

And yes, like Grandma Oe, rag bag quilts are still my favorite…must be those utilitarian Brady/Miller/Minney genes.

1 comment:

Isobel said...

If the musty smell persists, Wash in Gain and rinse with Downey and rig up a little clothesline outside and hang them out to dry. Voila!