Saturday, May 27, 2006

TRAVEL LOG


This is like being herded in to the family room and compelled to watch slide shows of someone’s vacation. Only you don’t have to read on if you’re not interested.

Our vacations usually involve time with family for a purpose. In this case GF/I drove to North Carolina so that brothers three – Tom, Wayne, Paul – could do some work around Tom’s house. That house project has been going on for some time…Tom’s had some health issues and the brothers want to do all they can to help him. Well, they would help regardless, I’m sure – and it does make a nice excuse for spending time together. This trip was mainly outdoor projects – running water/electric lines outdoors, underpinning, and framing up a sidewalk around the house with a bit of indoor trim work thrown in on rainy days and when the concrete work was delayed. Good men to have around, as you can tell.

The Koens dropped by and picked me up for a little stay in IN – my ‘time out,’ not punishment, but reward! Sunday in IN was Mother’s Day, GF’s birthday and we celebrated in heart the best possible way when DGS Daniel was baptized. Day of all days, none more significant to a grandson, parents and grandparents – praise the Lord.

Other highlights – Nines and I had a good Mother’s Day lunch (Chinese of course) with a short trip to Jo Anne’s Fabric on the side. A little food and fabric mania is never amiss for a special occasion. The first of the week Nines cleaned out the fridge and freezer and did her once-a-month cooking routine. I hung with the grocery shopping, but had to bow out my weary little feet for most of the cooking. Still, two or three of the boys were lending capable hands as she progressed beyond 30-40 pounds of meat divided into 20 or so entrees. Where does that girl find the energy!

Thursday/Friday Nines and I took a road trip to the Toledo area for a long overdue visit with my twin, Patsy and her husband Greg. Nines thought Pat and I didn’t talk much, but we were all having such fun being entertained by Nines – she can tell a story better than anyone I know. Besides, Patsy and I are content just being together, words or no. She’s always been quiet and I’m likely much quieter than I used to be :). We all took a little trip down to The Door Mouse for a good browse and bit of quilting fabric, then came home to a very special lunch – fresh fruit platter, pinto beans and cornbread and brownie sundae dessert, all presented beautifully. Great cook, that twin sister of mine. It was such a special time – being there as well as coming and going with Nina.

My fluid intention was to stay in IN until this weekend, but plans are made to change, as May morning describes. Though I always aim to do something that will LAST when I visit family, that doesn’t always happen either. In this instance, alas alack, the refrigerator will not stay clean and the laundry will not stay done. So maybe Nines will just have to remember I was there one bright Spring day to go yard-saling with her and the girls, to watch Joe carve the spot for the flower fountain and incredibly, there as an honored witness at Daniel’s spiritual birth.

2 comments:

teelduo said...

Oh what glorious news! Praise the Lord.

Quiltgranny said...

Thanks for the trip - I enjoyed it, but now I am weary as I think of all that cooking!