Tuesday, May 02, 2006

BACK FROM BRANSON





We’re home again. It took only and hour to unpack on Saturday, since most of our clothing was slated for the laundry. But it’s taking a bit longer to get back in “normal” mode. Not implying there’s much normalcy around here, you understand. I decided to break in gradually – did only half the laundry yesterday, mowed some grass for exercise and went online to file for SS benefits. How’s that for an odd mix?

Missouri is a little previous on the spring scale, so it’s like stepping back into season a couple of weeks to come home to WV. It was so warm yesterday that GF couldn’t resist putting some seeds in the ground. It’s hard to think of frost when the air and sunshine bring 70’s to the thermometer. So, corn, peas, beans and beets have been added to the garden. We should be thinning greens and having tasty-tender salads by the weekend. I really enjoy the garden, because GF does all the work! (I’ll do a little share at canning time, maybe.) Isobel and Luanne will want to know we’ve snitched a bit of new asparagus already…I’m thinking it’s almost better raw than cooked!

As for vacations, ours was an atypically touristy one – Branson is a little higher on the price scale, too. Between activities, we had good visits with the GF’s siblings and their spouses. The lodge was luxurious, with turned down beds and ginger cookies to wish us “sweet dreams.” The grounds at Cedar Lodge are lovely with spring perennials and new annuals being planted all around. I enjoyed the steamboat – could hardly tell it was moving and the food was terrific. But even better was our meal at Lambert’s in Ozark MO. Lambert’s must be the original tossed roll restaurant – with country fare to the extreme. I had white beans, greens, okra….yum, yum, yum! Better than steak any day.

We came home the long way kind of -- by way of the Koens. All those hugs sure made the overnight, which was too short, worth it. As usual, Nines had a stack of goodies for me which included a good starting stash for DGS Jonathan’s quilt. I also picked up “Midnight on Mars” all quilted and ready for binding. It has been spread on my bed as inspiration for starting that little job. I like it more all the time…but I won’t make you beg, Lisa. So as soon as the Barn is in order and the laundry done, the sewing machine can come out again and I guess I can hem binding instead of doing Sudoku puzzles on the front balcony. I sit out there and keep an eye on GF in the evening as he can’t bring himself indoors before seven or eight.

Can’t think of an ender, so I’ll just quit and go fix myself a nice round cup of Irish breakfast tea while GF sleeps in this cool, cloudy morning.

2 comments:

teelduo said...

I wasn't going to beg, only bat my beautiful eyes.

teeheeheehee Glad you are home.

love Lisa

Isobel said...

So glad that you had fun. Sounds like a wonderful trip but I can understand the desire to get back home. Somehow, no matter how great the trip, home is always better.