Friday, January 26, 2007

BONNIE’S STRIP TWIST




Finished up this double quilt top this morning - I’m not certain about the black borders, but am thinking they’ll grow on me. It’s not gorgeous, but it is presentable for a scrap quilt and may someday keep someone’s toes warmer. I do like the games the contrasting colors play on diagonal lines. (I can resist anything but diagonal patterns...) Besides that, now that it’s done, I’m thinking this winter may not be a total waste after all.

Back to the "woods," just have to share with you a note from my Aunt Luanne. She wrote this in response to all the logging and firewood stories of recent weeks.

I can remember when a wood fire in the fireplace was our only heat and it kept the brothers busy almost full time keeping enough wood. We burned a lot in the cook stove, also. Sometimes when the wood box for the stove would be empty, your Grandma Oe would go out and split some wood and carry it in. But not when your Grandpa Grover was around! He thought she ought to teach the sons that if there was no wood in the box there would be no supper.

I can almost smell the wood from your oak tree.

Love, Aunt Luanne


See what I mean? Aunt Luanne's excells at love of family and story telling. I'm thinking no one can tell a tale as clearly and concisely as a first grade teacher...even in retirement. Every note from her is worth sharing/saving. Thank you, Aunt Luanne

Seems to me there are quite a few good story tellers in this family!

1 comment:

Isobel said...

I think that Aunt Luanne excels at most things. Love your quilt. Perhaps I will put postcards on the back burner and work on my quilt for a while. FUnny thing, mine is also set up in black and will have black borders. COuld we be related?