Saturday, March 03, 2007

IT FLOATS


Some of us remember the time when that was a prized slogan for Ivory soap. DH remembers from his boyhood that the coal miners in his community always took a bar of Ivory soap to the river – it wouldn’t sink to the bottom as they cleaned off their coal masks and gloves before going home after work. I recall Ivory from my childhood too and have to buy a bar just every so often for the comforting scent of it. (It also works well for cleaning out acrylic paint brushes as DS Isobel taught me.)

A couple of weeks ago we had overnight rain that brought the creeks over their banks. When we awoke the next morning, the ice on the creek had shifted. So, it floats. Ice, that is. Some of these slabs were 8-10 inches thick, which made DH feel not quite so reckless about walking across the creek when it was frozen. Dealing with the flotsam was no problem. It took way over a week, but once a warm day or two marched by, it melted.

My February sewing kinda waned (read Wayned) to the extent of a few postcards and one quilt top. The blocks are all together and the borders are cut for the quilt, so that’s a one-day finishing project. Having restocked a few postcard supplies, I managed to finish the stitching on a dozen yesterday…something of a record, as five a day was my max before. I’m still not totally satisfied with the quality of my postcards, but most are nice enough to mail and the more I mail, the more practice I get.



The heart patient is out with his chain saw. He’s scheduled for another heart cath next week, and this time the doctor did not include the instruction, “Take it easy until we get this done.” That instruction has always been part and parcel of pre-cath agenda, so I’m thinking it was an oversight. DH won’t buy that! Actually DH says running the chain saw isn’t all that strenuous…I’m thinking it’s denial or his way of working off anxiety. Maybe both. At least this week it has been the small chainsaw on nuisance saplings and such – much smaller than the 100+-year old white oak. I helped him a little yesterday afternoon and I’m buying “not strenuous” for about the same price he’s buying “take it easy.”

5 comments:

Isobel said...

I have decided that it is a testosterone thng. You can tell them and tell them and they are going to do exactly as they want....so I have started saving my breath.

The ice is amazing. I am glad it is not here.

Isobel said...

Congrats on the postcrds. Don't look to be satisfied...I have made well over 100 and am really satisfied with only about 5-10 of them.

Nines said...

I love you! So sorry that Dad is having to go back through the medical revolving door. Sigh. You know, maybe you just need to change your perspective with the post cards. I love all of mine!! OK, maybe 5 I wasn't happy with, but somebody else was 'cause they are almost all gone!

Pamela (Peni) Teel said...

Nines, dear, if mine were as nice as yours my perspective would improve. I do LIKE most of them, just the same. :) Mom

Chrissie said...

I love your pictures! I can almost hear the soothing trickle of the water! Well, we got cold this year, but I'll never see that much ice here in Central California! God Bless you and your hubby - I'm praying for you!
Chrissie