Friday, April 21, 2006

ISOBEL'S ORPHANS


I promised Isie I would post this quilt top picture of snowball/nine-patch combination. Try to imagine the snowball with a more distinctive fabric design, Isobel –I was just using up some of the handed down greens from “our” stash. Also, a little smaller squares would work well, making the 9-patch medium/dark and the snowballs light/dark.

Isobel’s “orphans” came to me in 2-yd pieces and as generous as the supply was, I’ve managed to use about all of it up, save a shoe crate of 2-inch strips slated for cabins or pineapple blossoms. Anyway, I like the over all pattern the snowball/nine-patch combo makes. I call this “Irish Sea Shells” since its green and one orphan has a shell motif.

We had a full day yesterday – fixed a little food for Marie/Virgil, dropped by for a visit and then stopped to do a little spring cleaning at the church building. GF does the lion’s share of that job…it’s an old building with limited possibilities; but it smelled fresh and the windows were clear when we left it. Every cat in the neighborhood has been using the back yard as a sandbox…anyone know how to repel them? Would bay leaves work…I hear tell they repel ladybugs? I sprinkled some Comet along under the eave – as a short term measure to cover the stench. It would take a shovel to fix it, which I didn’t have.

Back at home, GF grilled some chicken for late lunch. I didn’t do much the rest of the day, but he went out with the weedeater to trim around some. He came in near dark saying, "The string trimmer ran out of gas before I did, but not by much." We’re to have thunderstorms today and he’s determined to have things ship-shape before we leave. Obviously his vacation syndrome is more productive than mine. Perhaps I should have added ‘breaking you back with yard work” and “blogging instead of packing” to list…..yes, it’s hopeless.

2 comments:

Nines said...

Looks like rain here, also. I got my flower garden...well, looking better. Need to head to the quilting room and see about getting thos e flower girls' dresses DONE. Love you! Nina

Quiltgranny said...

Get some mothball crystals and sprinkle it lightly over the area where you don't want the cats to use the potty. It also works to repel skunks. If it rains, you need to do it again. Won't smell too good (but fresher than kitty poop) for a bit, but it will last long enough to get the kittys to go elsewhere!