Monday, March 06, 2006

My girls are celebrating…




Happy, Happy Birthday Evabeth & Rebekah ! Can they really be 7 and 5? I wish I were close enough to collect some ‘strawberry’ kisses!

It’s good that they were born in March – when Florida/California strawberries start rolling into northeastern markets. But, if I know Nina, she’d find a way to have strawberries at the North Pole in December if that was a birthday wish. Such special girls! Such a special Mama!

It’s snowing in WV today…big lovely flakes that won’t tarry long. GF has been gardening already - moving asparagus, tilling the rest of the garden in hopes of planting potatoes soon. I think he’s overdoing it a bit; I check on him occasionally, but he’s having so much fun I haven’t the heart to nag. It seems to me a hard chore to let your man go at his own pace, regardless. Guess I’ll leave it in the Lord’s hands…and maybe pray for rain a few days a week? :c)

The birds think its spring already! It’s good to have their songs bringing up the sun again. In the fall there comes a day – all at once – when morning is quiet and you realize of a sudden that most of the birds have flown on. We have a lot of wintering birds, but they don’t sing much in the cold. Perhaps it takes all their energy just to eat enough to keep warm, or they need a little respite, or we need to be reminded to treasure their songs.

Made some half Splenda cookies yesterday and told GF they were the last try - fine flavor, light texture, but dry and crumbly. GF says, "weird cookies." Big Fours come as close to a healthy cookie as is possible. From now on a cookie is a cookie and to be eaten in moderation. I think rolls with oat bran and sunflower seeds are on today’s bread agenda. I bought some fresh seeds yesterday, so maybe these won’t go to the birds. (I mixed the other flopped rolls with peanut butter, raisins and oil and filled trays for the suet holders. They’re tucked in the freezer until needed.) What is it with me??? The same ole quilters’ syndrome: can’t throw it away - have to add to it and put it to some use. Sigh…no hope for changing at this stage.

I printed Bonni's Prairie Braid Border instructions yesterday. Maybe I'll give that a try today while the rolls are a'risin. Or ruffle up a couple of slips for my birthday girls. That sounds about right to me.

3 comments:

Isobel said...

What beauties. I can't believe they are that old already. Where does the time go.
Gary feeds the birds all winter. I love to watch them and to hear them chirping as they eat.
As to the splenda cookies, about the only ones I have had any luck with were the oatmeal raisin. I believe I used both white and brown sugar splenda in those. I only like them the day they are baked anyway. Now is that getting persnickety or what.

teelduo said...

Can I have a cookie mama?

Tracey said...

They are beauties...and have good taste requesting strawberries! mmmmm!!

Peni, I thought of you while driving thru Wheeling yesterday morning. I know that you're a ways off from there...I just wish that YOUR weather would make it north to ME! Brrr! Still cold here!