Thursday, March 09, 2006

YOU CAN’T KEEP A GOOD MAN DOWN




With Spring quickly approaching the border, GF is gearing up for gardening. Like a kid with a date at the candy store, he was off to Greene’s Feed and Seed and back with fruit trees in 7-gallon buckets – two Fuji and one gala apple and a plum. The bank for fruit trees we loosely call the orchard is full, so the new trees found a place in the meadow. They’ll get lots of sunlight there and hopefully the wide wire cages will protect them from deer.

If I were looking at that job, I would plan to plant two trees one day and two a couple days later. After all, they require holes 18” deep /wide. But not GF – the deer were waiting to come out and eat before he was finished, but it was a one-day deal. Like moving 12 asparagus plants a few days earlier (12” holes this time) – 6 a day , no way! Do the whole dozen and water them by moon light. Corn and beans will be the no different when the ground warms enough for planting them. But, truth is he’s so happy to be working his socks off that he’s almost giddy. Working in the soil just makes his soul sing, I think. And how I thank God that he is here and able to do what he most enjoys – hard work!

Chilly days call for chili soup. That cabbage/beef variety made a few days ago is a take off from our old Shoney’s soup and salad bar favorite. Like its vegetable cousin, by the time you get all the ingredients combined it’s a hefty pot (that would make maybe two meals with the kids home). So, some of this will be freezer bound. Nice thing about GF is that he doesn’t mind eating the same thing over… and over … and over … until it’s all gone. Maybe comes from eating beans and cornbread most days as a kid?

LIFE’S LITTLE CHALLENGES

--making a two-person pot of soup,

--closing eyes, ears and MOUTH to the heart patient’s tiller, shovel and hard working garden agenda,

--cleaning house when you’d rather be sewing, painting, reading…any number of other things,

--playing barber in the dim light of the Barn after sundown,

--taking that healthy walk when it’s less than 60 degrees – (guess I think the outside temperature should at least equal my age),

-- getting three little pictures in the right order/space on a blog page

--blogging sans bragging or complaining….

Little challenges, indeed they are comparatively. Kinda keep life interesting, though, to say the least. (..and maybe less said would have been better...:o)

4 comments:

Laurie Ann said...

If it were at my place the wire would keep the deer away, but then the gophers would come up and eat all the roots off anyway. Even though they have acres of other food. Arghh!!

Nines said...

Wish I could come over for a cup of soup and a roll!! Love the pictures, and yes, blogging pictures is a pain, sometimes. I have the hardest time arranging them where I want them. Usually, I just let them fall where they are. Love you! Nina

Tracey said...

OH my goodness. I just came in from doing almost the same thing as your dh!! That almost-60 degree weather has got me itchin' to plant too...so out came the tiler. :o) I got one whole section of garden all worked up...then I took to pruning our fruit trees. I, like your dh, can't WAIT to get planting some corn and beans! :oD

Isobel said...

Is there such a thing as a two-person pot of soup--I don't think so. The good weather also got me out on Saturday to deal with the leaves burying the tulips--it only took me about 45 minutes to decided to call Alex Michael's former schoolmate who is starting up his own landscaping business. I really want the yard to look nice but the physical me is not up to it.