Tuesday, March 14, 2006

Sister Stories


A bit of weather and delayed flights kept us from taking off to FL last night. We could get out of CRW, but would miss the next leg …we spent a night in the ATL airport once and that was not an experience we wanted to repeat. SO, I may get to keep my ‘threat’ to talk about Isobel sooner than I thought. Our dad always called a lie a "story." This isn't that kind of a story.

About the picture – she may want to skin me alive, but I love it. Now think THINNER FACE, because she was diagnosed with diabetes just last year and has worked faithfully with diet and exercise since. Otherwise, it seems to me this snapshot is a great character pose.

Isobel, as you can tell by her writing, is a nurturer and a natural teacher. She taught elementary school grades with devoted gladness (said gladness tarnished a hair the year one little imp bit her and drew blood, maybe) and has a way of making everything easy to understand. Anytime we’re together, I know I’m going to learn something useful. She’s always busy, has tried and succeeded at so many creative things and excels at sharing her knowledge for such experiences. It’s a “you can do this, it’s simple” proposition with step by step to-do instructions. Hey, Isie, I’ve been thinking I might want to learn how to carve spoons…:o).

Back to the picture. Isobel’s dear friend Nancy has twin grandchildren who adore Miss Isobel. In this shot, Isobel was playing pretend with them and gladly donned the princess crown to do so. She once took our Laurie to live with her for a couple of weeks where she attended Isobel’s kindergarten classes. She keeps up a running correspondence with Nina’s son Jak. Like Uncle Gale and Aunt Ruth, she takes each child into her attention and lets them know how special they are – and I can imagine every child thinking they are quite favored, in a good way. That’s a gift, especially so, because her favor is sincere.

Isobel has a great sense of humor, but don’t think she’ll put up with any foolishness. She doesn’t have time for that – living is too important. And did I mention what a good cook she is? We might give our Brady genes part of the credit for that. And Isobel is so generous – GF says he has to be careful what he says he likes around her, because next thing he knows she’s handing it over. You wouldn’t want to take advantage of such a giving spirit. But, I confess, I knew no shame in snitching my favorite of her carved spoons right off her wall.

Well, it’s time for me to get ready to head for another try at the airport. I doubt this hurried little post does her justice, but it’s a start. Love you, Isobel...and I don’t think it counts when you brag on a sister. Besides, doesn't she look smashing in her tiara?

3 comments:

teelduo said...

Why yes she does look smashing in her tiara. To think I am related to such royalty! It may be by marriage, but I love her the same. :-)

Isobel said...

Thanks, Peni, for such a glowing tribute. You are such a sweet sister and you really have a way with words...and of course you could learn to carve a spoon. We just need to get you a sharp knife and a spoon gouge, some sandpaper and a BIG box of bandaids. Beginning carvers always need those, and sometimes even experienced carvers need then, especially if their power tools develop a mind of their own.

QuiltingFitzy said...

It's indeed admirable to be able to put your feelings into words and convey the love for your sister. Very refreshing!

(And imagine that, Isobel didn't even take you to task!!)