Thursday, April 20, 2006

GEORGIA FARM BOYS


I think it was GF’s dad that used to say he wouldn’t trade his kids for a farm in Georgia. DS David is getting the farm and the kids…well, as you can tell he’s had the boys a while now. Meet Philip, Timothy and Bob the bull. Isn’t Bob the perfect name for a bull? He’s cute, too.

The boys came to Teelside for a visit last week and were nice enough to bring along their older bro and sis as well as their mom, her sisters and her mom. We had a regular party. It was a perfect spring day so we charcoaled burgers and franks. DDIL with sisters/mom brought fixin’s including potato salad, eggs, beans and buns. It could have been the 4th of July.

At one point I declared, “There are too many cooks in this kitchen!” But it wasn’t a complaint…between Karen, Juanita, Crystal, Beccie and me, the table and counters were well covered yet we were not in each others way at all. I remarked that GF, not a big man, takes up the whole kitchen when he lends a hand. I usually go elsewhere and let him have at it.

DDIL’s family left toward evening after a great visit. They’re all still so pretty!!! The sisters did most of their growing up on a place called Beauty Mountain, near the New River Gorge Bridge…and we always thought that fit.

Beccie and the grandchildren stayed around until just after lunch the next day. I used Nines’ no recipe rolls to make pepperoni rolls for supper and sticky buns for breakfast dessert the next morning. We had the usual entertainment – a woods full of roaming and a video after dark. I opened up ‘barbershop’ and cut four heads of hair (including GF’s) the next morning. Each head is different…Jonathan’s manageable, Philip’s perfect, Timothy’s Teel-cowlick impossible, but I did my best to suit them. I confessed to Philip that I really didn’t like the job, but was happy to do it because it gave me a chance to pat on them a little more than would be cheerfully endured otherwise.

As for Bob, I wonder how he’ll get on with Hannah’s new horse. Probably well – animals like company. I cannot remember the horse’s name (shame on me), but I do believe she is not slated for the freezer as is Bob.

1 comment:

Isobel said...

Nicholas and Alex raised a bull that their paternal grandfather had given them when the mother refused to care for one of a pair of twins. They made a pen right on the end of their house until the bull got too big and then farmed it out to a friend with more property. They shared the cost of feeding it until it got big enough to eat--or perhaps that was just too cantankerous to care for. I asked Alex if he ate "Charlie" and he replied, "Yeah, and he tasted really good."