Sunday, April 09, 2006

STOCKING FOR FISH CHOWDER



Every good cook knows it takes special stock for really good soup. Greg’s Fish Chowder is no exception. (See prairiequilts.blogspot, "The Chicago Quilt Show".) And now, just look where Greg stores the stock for his quilting creations! WOW!

A few years back I went for a short visit to Pat and Greg’s and spent some time pressing and color collating their quilt stash. [I say “their” because Pat is good with a needle, too, and not everything in the stash was hand dyed, orange or grey. *VBS*] Greg was a little apologetic as I labored long over the sorting process, but he needn’t have been. Looking through and feeling all those lovely textiles was truly a wonderful experience. I grouped them as best I could into the bookshelf with glass doors that served as a stash cabinet at the time.

Since then that stock/stash has really moved up town! How inspiring it must be to choose swatches from that new cabinet – an absolute work of art! The new storage shed was made by our (Pat’s and mine) brother, Andy. As you can see, he’s quite an artist and woodcrafter. Greg has invited me back to see his new neat stash several times – and someday I won’t be able to resist taking him up on that.

And by the way, Greg knows a whole lot more about foods and cooking than I ever will! We should ask him about fish stock, too.

3 comments:

Nines said...

Wow! Isn't that cabinet lovely? He sure is being awfully nice to his sisters! Wonder if I could get my craftsmen brothers to be so nice? Let's go visit Greg and Patsy when I get back from Florida!

Sarah said...

Peni -

That cabinet is beautiful! You sure do have a talented family! Hope you and Wayne are doing well!

Love, Sarah

Isobel said...

I saw this cabinet when I went to visit Pat last summer. I think I am about due to go see it again, con't you think. It is wonderful. Can't wait until I get my display cabinet from Andy. He has in the plans to make me a cherry & glass cabinet to display my carvings. Seeing his other work, I know it will be wonderful.