Wednesday, April 05, 2006

Plumb Daffy




Spring has sprung. Wow! The birds sing, the grass is green, wind chimes play constant refrains and the daffodils nod their graceful golden heads in gentle April breezes. Dr. Zhivago is one of GF’s favorite videos…and depressing as it is you have to admit it has breathless photography. We are always taken by the daffodil scenes and that likely inspired GF to plant daffodils all over Teelside. He’s still spreading them around.

The loveliest of our varieties came from dear Emma Haid's and Uncle Carl's bulbs. Have you noticed on country drives that former homesteads (sans buildings) are marked with clumps of daffodils or candles of heaven? I like to think our yellow cheer will multiply and bloom after we’ve moved to the latter, better place.

Evabeth is off making here TV commercial debut this morning, butterflies and all. GF asks, “In her stomach?” Well, maybe, but I was referring to the wreath of butterfly or sweetheart clips her mama likely spun into her hair. I know she’ll do well and am eager to hear all about it.

Were I so inclined it would seem a perfect time to start Spring House Cleaning. Would I were…sigh. Noodle city for me instead. I’ve started a little 10 x 12 landscape of Nines (former) barn, and figured a way to handily set it aside (off the kitchen table) briefly. The sewing machine is back out…I declare it has a mind of its own and hops up on the table while I’m dreaming. For lack of other ambition, I’m joining boney half-squares today. I could or should be adding something to my travel wardrobe – GF and I are to go to Branson for a Teel sibling reunion the last of this month – but nothing strikes me as that important as yet. This is definitely a loose-ends season. Either that or my dull wit refuses to be peaked.

The taters and onions are in the ground and this could be a lettuce planting day. The herb garden needs refurbished as well, so there will be lots of room for cilantro. I’ve taken to adding fresh leaves from the grocery to salads for a wonderfully zingy lift! It would be great to have an ongoing supply. Seems we always get a taste for fresh greens well before danger of frost lifts. Maybe the Lord knows the worth of anticipation and hope. I expect so. Think ASPARAGUS, Aunt Luanne.




As for double images...it was a downloading error I chose to keep. First it wouldn't download and then it pasted twice...suits the daffy title, at least.

4 comments:

teelduo said...

Purdy purdy purdy! We have clumps of daffys all over too. I need to send you some critter shots I have gotten lately.

love Lisa

Nancy said...

Oh I miss this so much about MS. There we had daffodils and narcissus all over the place. Everywhere there used to be an old house the roadsides would be covered with them. Here in TX we have the bluebonnets which are also lovely, but your picture of the daffodils made me a bit homesick for a minute. Thanks for sharing.

Nines said...

You can never have too many Daffodils. Happy Spring! Nina

Isobel said...

I totally agree with Nines, you can never have too many daffodils. I try to plant more each year--sometimes think that I don't have enough time left for them to multiply as much as I would like.