Wednesday, June 14, 2006

CORNY PHOTOS






Well. maybe not all of them. The corn row picture is posted for Nines who was wondering how GF could hoe between corn without chopping it down. As I told her, you have to finger weed between it when it is small and later pile up dirt to smother weeds and support the stalks. GF's folks always planted their corn in hills, 4-5 seeds to a hill, thinned to three. But GF likes rows. Nina, tell the boys NOT to add rocks like they see here in GF's garden. We've hauled off tons of rocks from that area...and still think they are sprouting up from China. Thankfully, IN soil is soft and sandy - but grass will be a big contender for that newly tilled cornfield. Hoe and weed, hoe and weed...not as much fun as a shovel, but it'll make real men of 'em just the same.
The little fawn got separated from its mama and wandered in the creek over an hour. It was afraid of the bramble barrier and its mama was afraid to come rescue it with us watching. We ended up scaring them both - in opposite directions, but presume they eventually were reunited.
The other "roses" are among my favorite sights. If I didn't like to eat it, I would still like to grow cabbage for the beauty of it. Mammoth green roses - lovely! I would like to get a photo after a rain when the water droplets stand as if on waxed leaves, but it's dry this week. Maybe later. Otherwise we're having perfect June weather. Cool nights. Warm days. Fireflys and whippoorwills after dark. And pretty creeping roses.
The barn painting progresses...maybe I should take another shot before I mess it up. Like most of my creative processes, I am enamored with it about 2/3 - 3/4 through, but am likely to be less content with the end product. Don't recall one ever being totally happy with one in the end; but that's what practice is for, right? Better get back to it, 'cause I need lots of practice.

No comments: