Saturday, December 23, 2006

I BET SHE KNEW...


Some while back I offered to put the prairie points on DS Isobel's king-size quilt. As I recall she had cut a few and I whisked them up with the rest of the fabric and brought them home to await Nines' quilting completion. I don't remember when I got the quilt from Nines, but that's been a while, too.

Well, I was waiting for matching border fabric for binding, which DS sent in my christmas box, so no more excuses. I was procrastinating a little (procrastination is one of my flaws, sigh) - but with reason. Upon receipt of the binding fabric, I set out to press the cut squares. All this time, in the back of my mind I wondered..."how ever will I get these things attached evenly?" And then, "how ever will I manage this monster on the floor as I pin them unevenly." Mind you, I wasn't sorry I offered, but you know how it is. Sometimes those sincere offers turn into bigger jobs than you first visualize.

Can you tell? ...like Nines I'm in the throws of holiday denial. Surely I have time to finish off this quilt before I start baking.

All that worry for nothing. Those little points went down in perfect precision first time!! I BET SHE KNEW. Isobel probably figured out the dimensions and knew it would take 4-inch squares before she finished the top. Not only that, the king-size quilt spread quite nicely on my queen-size bed with the 'quilt vault' footer. THANK YOU DB-ANDY! When I got to the third side, I even figured out I could sit in Grandpa Millers oak chair and pin away without as much as the tiniest bend in my spine. (I must have gotten the slow genes in this mix.)

The moral of the story is, "Don't put it off...it might be a whole lot easier than you think [especially with the help of clever siblings]." Now go try and tell that to a dyed in the wool procrastinator!

NOTE: The picture won't tell, but the quilt piecing and applique on the apples is admirable. Nines quilted inside each apple with a different pattern. My favorite is the corner one, swirled with the worm poking out its little nose. How clever!

1 comment:

Isobel said...

Oooooooooooooooo, I'm salivating just looking at it. Take your time DS. I think I got the best of the Christmas presents this year. Love Ya!