Thursday, February 09, 2006

EASY OVER


Work on the easy quilt is over. “Beccie’s Bower” is in full bloom. Started Saturday – finished Thursday…not even in my wildest imagination could I hope to do one in a day. Well, maybe baby sized -- barely. This one is a good twin size and would work on a double in a pinch, if you didn’t expect it to act like a bedspread.

My Mom and GM Oe made quilts that barely hung over the edge of the bed. Mattresses were smaller in those days. And fabric was scarce, garnered from any number of sources, but almost never from a retailer. And what’s that old saying about “when you point your finger at someone, three are pointing back to YOU.” That fits (even while pointing with affection), because I readily admit that every piece in the blocks of this quilt was scrap – begged, borrowed, cast off or ‘stolen’ (with permission) from other projects. It might be genetic.

DH had a big hand in finishing this one. He liked the purple tones and chose the fabric for the header/footer. Seeing it assembled he commented that it would look better with the lilac all around. But, dear, I answer sweetly, the reason “we” added the header/footer was to make it rectangular. Lilac on all four sides would keep it square. Oh. He isn’t the ‘drag it on the floor and cuddle on the couch with it’ sort; he’s the ‘let it entertain me when I’m in sick in bed’ variety. Thence, it needed to be oblong not square. But I did assure him that the header/footer will look a lot better when Nina does her whimsical free-hand quilting on it – even if I did get it a bit too wide. She’ll just have a wider palette on which work her magic.

Instead of singing “Don’t It Make My Brown Eyes Blue,” I’m singing “don’t it make my blue quilt purple.” But I like the purple, too. Must have gone to my brain, though -the silk flowers were chosen for a spring cemetery bouquet and look at that color! Pretty together, but don’t expect me to shroud the monument in the new quilt top just because it matches. I’m not quite that quilt-crazy yet.

4 comments:

dot said...

very nice

Nines said...

I like! Men are suckers for purple. Love you and congratulations on getting it done- way faster than I could have done it!

teelduo said...

I think it is beautiful and that reminds me does Nina have our Mars quilt and is it almost ready for my bed? :-)

Laurie Ann said...

I am in love!!!!