Wednesday, February 01, 2006

PEACE AND QUIET


...isn't all it's cracked up to be, you know.

There's a Barn full of peace and quiet now. It took less than two hours to reclaim the premises...Nina had picked up and straightened, so all we did was launder the throw rugs and mop the floor. But you know, I'd much rather have wall to wall belongings and a little grit on the floor -- together with the angels that go with them. Give me the scatter and Abe's kisses, please! And you'd be surprised how well you can sleep with wall to wall grandchildren. They risk being stepped on, but were wise enough to remember GF and GM need midnight paths to the bathroom - and were considerate of our needs in every way. You couldn't ask for sweeter visitors.

And didn't those kids have fun!!! The weather was unseasonably mild - it made for mud, but it also meant grapevine swinging, forts in the woods, some pellet wars in hilly terrain, bycicle riding and even a bit of creek wading in tall boots. You can imagine how that ended - one slip and Eva was soaked through with boots full of water. Never fails, but kids have to try it and what kind of grouch would refuse them that option?
What's more, this cook even got to be lazy. Bill insisted on a no-work menu, but I don't think anyone went hungry. I began to think I couldn't fill Evabeth up, maybe her new medicine improves her appetite. Bless her dear sweet heart. Without thinking it through I sabatoged both myself and Nina with cookies and goodies, but having our little binge, maybe we can hit the strait and narrow this month. It's hard to be a GM and not bake cookies - we may have to invest in an iron clad safe and give only the GC the key/combination. [And I promise I'll remember NOT to repeat my indulgence when Ben comes for a visit.]
GF said he enjoyed Pride/Prejudice, Nina. You might not guess it to look at him, but he truly is a hopeless romantic at heart. If you're gonna be that cute, you need to be romantic, don't you think? Altogether we had a lot of down time in easy company.
And now that it's over, it's on to other things....like making some use out of the vintage fabrics and "Egg Money" quilting book Nina brought me.
The Barn is TOO, TOO quiet...but the story still has a good ending.

3 comments:

Laurie Ann said...

Love reading about your adventures from both the vistor and visitees point of view. Sounds like it was a blast. Welcome to blogdom!

Tracey said...

A big WELCOME to Nine's mom! :o) I loved reading about the fun you folks had together. I'm sure you made some awful good memories for those grandkids of yours.
Looking forward to seeing that Egg Money quilt!

Nines said...

Hi Mom! I can see that you remembered how to find your blog! And post pictures! you're a whiz! Love you! Nina