Thursday, February 02, 2006

STRIPIN' DOWN


With a fire going in the stove that's a natural option.

Just how many 2" strips can a person utilize, anyway? I'm beginning to sort my stash of strips - made from fabrics that have outlived their grace, probably. I've extracted beige / brown / gold / burgundy / black strips for a log cabin [title: Winter Woods Cabin?]; and enough pink / lavender / rose / navy for another. The idea of a bargello from the latter didn't sit as easy as a cabin, especially afer a trial shape-up. So, two log cabins it will be. That ought to clear cabin fever for quite a while. But I have a suspicion I will still have some 2" left overs. Cookie crumbs eventually disappear, but 2" stock is here to stay...sigh.

That's my discipline project. I don't have to stitch it all or stitch at all; I can just put it somewhere handy to work on when the need for something easy comes along. Once in order, I'll be free to look at something more challenging when time and energy level are at hand...like something from my new Eleanor Burns Egg Money book.

....a few hours later.

Does any sewing project settle in without a spin around? I wonder... The lilac/blue is on it's way and the cabin in the woods may yet turn out to be bargello.

The picture above is my first log cabin quilt. It was a desperate effort to rid myself of all the red hand-me-downs in my stash and I expected it to be ten kinds of ugly. In the end, I rather liked it -- enough to subtitle it "A Cabin for Oe." Oe is my GM - and she always liked to add a touch of red, or a lot of red to any quilt she made. (More about that dear lady at a later date.) It's now in Nina's to-do stack.

I don't quilt - I just piece and let my DD's do the hard part.

1 comment:

Tracey said...

I bet that log cabin sure does brighten up those long winters for you!! It's so cool that you and your dh live in a barn! I'm still waiting for a farmer around my area to let me buy just their barn...the silly folk are keeping animals and hay in them now! :oP