Sunday, February 05, 2006

THE SIMPLE LIFE


Guess the Shakers said it best....'Tis a gift to be simple, 'tis a gift to be free..."

I've come 'round to what I knew first in many ways. A simple country life. That may be different in WV than most places - at least all true mountaineers think so. Here I am living in a Barn (never home to animals, though, sorry) that is smaller than either house I knew as a child. But there are some similarities -- this country living means room to roam, nearby woods, wildflowers, bird watching, a swing in the oak, summer gardens, a little canning, simple menus, no TV, -- time for simple pleasures and self-amusement.

Unlike my childhood and early married days, I no longer use a wringer washer. (But I can tell you it was a quicker way to conquer that chore.) And I don't hang wash out to dry - because I can't figure where to place the lines away from avian flight patterns. So, I'm thankful for some "modren" conveniences and know my mother & grandmothers would think my Barn luxurious in many ways. We do have an outhouse - but thanks to recent acquisition of municipal water and good supply, need not depend on using it for emergencies any more. [Certain visitors are glad for that, I assure you!]
One-room living, cozy with wood heat and oil lamplight when the electricity goes out (which it's prone to do here). It helps that I really like my roommate, too.
Yet there are some things I miss about my former life in suburbia...
  • Our children!
  • Pulling out the good china for a festive Christmas breakfast
  • Crafting/painting/sewing on a long, tall countertop
  • Lots of Sunday company
  • Writing lesson plans and teaching Bible classes
  • Laundering clothes on the same floor level
  • Viewing the world -- wonderful WV -- through a big picture window.

Would I go back, even if it were possible? Back to children.......without grandchildren......I don't think so!

So here we are living in what a dear friend calls our "idyllic existence." Tis a gift to be simple....and a gift to be wrapped up in contentment, too.

4 comments:

Tracey said...

Oh Peni....your barn is just beautiful! I LOVE it! You're right....giving up things can be difficult at times...but so often there is a greater reward. I think you're at the 'greater reward' stage now. ;o)
*Thank you* so much for sharing your home with us!

Carolyn said...

What a beautiful post and a beautiful home. Welcome to the land of bloggers! I look forward to reading more...

Laura said...

What a gorgeous home, it looks like something off a postcard!

Katie said...

Looks so wonderful. See my site for info on a wonderful book titled A People and Their Quits that I bet you would love to read.