Saturday, February 04, 2006

Makin' New Bones


I couldn't wait to try the pineapple pattern! How simple! Never have I made such easy points or had so much fun with half-squares. And then couldn't resist trying it in reverse - lights / mediums with dark squares. It's not as striking...but I do have a lot of light 2" strips in my box. Something else -- that log cabin project is going to seem really boring after this.

So far most all my bones are those melancholy colors. By that I mean the left overs from my "Melancholy Mama" quilt. It was made with Contrary Wife pattern but I've been trying 42 years to avoid being that, so I gave the jewel tones a more fitting name...or is that fitful name?

BUT, sooner or later you have to quit playing with skeletons and start stringing some bones together. My sewing table is also dining, writing table and I've had it a mess all week. [The table is nearly as old as I am and I've eaten on it as long as I can remember. Grandpa Miller turned the legs and my dad made the top out of left-over oak flooring. The top is uneven but DH cut a plywood underlayment for the cutting board.] One-room living tends breed tolerance for multi-tasking clutter, at least.


I'll compensate for the mess by sewing a few rows on the blue cabin before I put the machine up and get on to weekend cookie duties. I'll try to save a FEW for GF and ship the rest to the local shut-ins. A newer recipe would be good. As my Mom used to say, I'm "fed up" with choc chip, oatmeal and peanutbutter. Marie might be, too.

Speaking of bones...after bending over that table/cutting board all week, my back's ready for some new ones!

3 comments:

Nines said...

Oh how pretty!! I told you that you'd like it!! And isn't it simple? I'm so glad you decided to tackle something new! Now wasn't that fun? I love the plummy colors in this one- you have to show a few of them, together!

Isobel said...

I can't help you out with the quilting (bending over to cut) but I can share a particularly good cookie recipe that I received from one of my kindergarten parents many years ago. Will send it along by e-mail.

Isobel

Katie said...

To raise your table, get some blocks of wood - I think abut 3x3 and six or eight inches high. Drill big hole in each the size to let table leg go in and your back ache is gone. To get the table out just lift out of blocks. I did this on a ping pong table in my basement. Then I bought a piece of furniture that is meant to hold silverware, dining room linens, etc. I added cutting board all over the top and can walk all the way around three sides of it. Love it. Sorry, I'm not where I can send pics.