Saturday, February 11, 2006

So it comes down to this, does it?


Yes, it does. This is now the sum-total of my quilting stash. (And at that, the top container and the box on the floor were donated by Nina just a couple of weeks ago.) Well, I do have one more small storage box with orphans in it; but I don’t usually count orphans as stash, do you?

Those boxes were setting there after the “bower” cleanup and I just had to laugh and take a picture. Rumor has it that some folks have hidden stashes in drawers and closets – unbeknownst to their DH even. I’m too old to be jealous….but I can still sigh. Sigh sigh ...

Truly, I’m neither bragging nor complaining. There’s no way I can finish off this assortment in the quilting time left this "season." And the supply could be replenished if need be. There’s plenty around here to keep me busy. . . even without indulging in obsessions. . .er, ah, . . .hobbies, likely. But that wouldn't be any fun, now would it!

We haven't gotten the big snow storm that was predicted today. It snowed all day - hard - but the temperature hovered around 34-35, so it didn't add up. WV doesn't see much severe weather, but we always wish for snow at Teelside. Why, I don't know. Probably because we are retired and don't have to get out in it. Or maybe it just eases our consciences about huddling inside around the fire.

My huddling was over the sewing machine today, still. [Nina must be rubbing off on me. Her daddy always says I get my best traits from our daughters.] The pineapple blossom quilt I started yesterday was finished up to the last two triangles on twenty squares by this evening. That little project skirts by so quickly, it's hard to tear away from it. When I can lay it out together, I'll decide whether to sash or make 10 more squares to make it large enough.

BY THE WAY, I did not say that was all the fabric I have. So happens there are four large boxes of other material hanging around downstairs – mostly passed along by friends/family that know I sew – but it is not suitable for quilting, so it doesn’t count. Like your hidden stashes….I’ll get to that…..someday. Maybe even sooner than I think!

3 comments:

Laura said...

Peni - I love the comment about "easing your conscience." I always feel the same way about snow, It let's me not feel guilty about staying home and doing something I want to do.

Laurie Ann said...

I love what I heard someone say in another blog that it is better to have fabric in quilt form than stored in boxes. I have about the same amount of stash. I like to use it up and buy more instead of sitting on it. Good job!

Isobel said...

I look at your nice neat boxes of fabric, then I look at my studio with its' piles of 'to do' jobs and materials and then I look at the picture Nina posted and then I see Kathy's neat house and I wonder could we have gotten out daughters switched somehow?