Wednesday, February 22, 2006

RUFFLES, RUFFLES




....who's got the ruffles?

These skirts certainly have a few. What fun! They are for Evabeth and Rebekah - and if they like them they should thank Aunt Isobel and Miss Nancy. Aunt Isobel supplied the serger (without which I would never have begun them) and her friend Nancy's handed down fabric - yards and yards - supplied the needed inspiration.

I often wonder how much inspiration is born of need...like necessity and invention? The fabric crates from Nancy have several 4 - 6 yard pieces and it takes 4-6 yards to start thinking about ruffles. I call these prairie skirts because they're for my prairie girls. I have one started for their prairie Mama too, in homespun plaid. It's such an easy job on the serger that they might all ship out together before week's end.

Not much exciting happening on the home front this week and today's weather isn't exactly inspiring. I'm sleeping better than Nines, but am restless and easily distracted as I wait upon tomorrow's news for Evie. I just flit from one partial chore to another with only ruffles to show for my small helter-skelter efforts. The Barn is littered to and fro with ruffle supplies - yardage and lace on every spare surface. No sense putting it up while I'm on a roll.
I did try chopped apples/walnuts/raisins in Nina's 'no recipe' rolls yesterday. That was a success...but they still needed a touch more salt. That's an improvement, however, because so far I've made two batches with, forgetfully, no salt at all. Flat cat taste. Blah. GF says that sometimes happens when brides cook. :)
So, there are the skirts, Nina. You're right about stitched gifts...there is something of your heart in every stitch. Now the serger put a lot of stitches in the gathers and attachment of those ruffles, so you can tell the girls the're kept together with millions of GM kisses!!!
Goes not my heart with you tomorrow.....

2 comments:

Isobel said...

Of course you would make ruffles. When you were growing up you had no 'little sisters' whose ruffles you were required to iron each week. I always vowed that I would put no ruffles on anything I had to iron when I grew up. I did put some on Kathy's dresses but I paid someone else to iron them. I printed out the pictures so that I could show Nancy how you used some of the fabric. She will be pleased. I will be thinking of Evie, also.

Isobel

teelduo said...

Great stuff mama!!!!