Tuesday, February 07, 2006

NOT an automatic...


I'm thinking about revising my profile....and have decided autobiographies do not come automatically or even naturally. Well, if someone else were writing them they may not be so bad...duh. And like Anne, in one of my favoirte movies, if you'd only let me tell you what I imagine about myself it would be a lot more interesting.

I do suppose one ought to stop and think about what's important; prioritize. But no matter how you turn it, self-vision is slanted in favor of the mirror. No visions here....we'll just have to let time do the telling. But don't give up on me too soon -- 60+ years and I'm still a work in progress. Thankfully God isn't through working on me yet, either.

I do have some interesting little facts in my history.

  • I'm next to youngest of five siblings. Talent runs rampant in the others of us! I'll share some examples soon.
  • I have a great twin sister. Growing up, she had gorgeous red hair and I was the brunette who got the freckles. The older we get the more we resemble each other...and I'm glad because she is a very nice person. (Her hubby is a hand quilter and quite exceptionally good at it!) [Like the song says, your bones come back to haunt you -- I used to tease Patsy about being 10 minutes older than she...now she can gloat all she wants about being the youngest!]
  • My sweetheart has been hanging around as long as I can remember. We married in 1963 and neither of us cares much to recall not being a pair. For those who might wonder, GF and GM will henceforth be Grandfather and Grandmother (which is how we refer to each other in beloved company.)
  • We have four beautiful children who married four beautiful people and began filling our hearts with 17 beautiful grandchildren. The 25 of them mean the world to us.
  • Writing has been a frequent occupation in my life, but has been crowded out for a while. I hope this proves to be some of that pleasure revisited. (Shades of The Family Album? ? ?...thank you Nina.)

There - I don't think I imagined any of that, so I'll quit for this session. If I go on any longer this blog will grow moss like those rocks up there.

Thanks for the cheerful, kind words of welcome. I'm glad to be stringing along.

5 comments:

Unknown said...

I haven't been to W V since 1971, I think. I know it was a cold season and we nearly ran out of gas because, typical of the male of the species, he was not going to ask for directions from ANYONE, and certainly not consult a map.

I do remember it as being a very pretty area, not so unlike parts of the Willamette Valley, where I was raised and still live.

Thanks for joining the world of bloggers who quilt, I like reading about other peoples lives and adventures.

best wishes,
Cindy

Laura said...

I imagine that you are one of the talented five siblings. You write beautifully I look forward to your next post.

teelduo said...

I love you too mama. LOOK NINA SUCKED ME IN TOO! Good thing I love her.

Isobel said...

Peni has a way of sucking us all in doesn't she. I just love reading what she writes. I think that Nina must have inherited Peni's gift of gab.

Katie said...

My mother's family is from the Wheeling, WV area. I have history of the family going way back to early 1800's. Great place to live.