Friday, February 24, 2006

LIFE'S LITTLE IRONIES...

Life is full of them, isn’t it? For instance:

  • Denim works best when it’s nearly worn out. I have a dress – a surprise “just because” gift from DSIL June – that is getting rather thread bare. It was a great casual Wednesday night Bible study dress for years, but in it’s faded glory I find that when I want to really plow into housework or a busy day that worn out dress makes me feel like working harder. And it’s the holey but not righteous jeans that kids hide to keep them from being tossed in the trash by the launderer.
  • The exercise that wears you out gets you goin’. Give it half an hour or so -- once you get your breath back you’re ready to take on the world.
  • It’s about the old sunflower seeds on the pantry shelf. My first thought was to toss them to the birds. But, instead I put them in some whole wheat rolls. The rolls flopped, so guess who’s getting the sunflower seeds AND the roll crumbs?
  • Twice in one month you may decide to knock off early and take your shower at 5 p.m. instead of 8-9; and those will be the days that Cousin Gene drops by to check on the sick. He probably thinks I live in my night clothes.
  • The postal service will announce a hike in postage rates the day after you buy a roll of 100 stamps.
  • After 28 tiers of skirt ruffles, you figure out the better way to gather and attach them…I must have been my Mom’s slowest learner.
  • For Isobel – iron-ease. Thanks to advances in textile mills, this little sister can make ruffles out of permanent-press fabrics and never know the agony her big sister once endured. Also, my ruffles are for everyday use and wrinkle standards are considerably lower than they were in the 50’s.
  • You can travel the world for 60 years and then retire 6-7 miles (as the crow flies) from your birthplace and work with the church you first knew.

The picture is for Nina...her Papa and DB David when she was 5-days old. Taken in Clendenin - the church DF first knew as a child.

1 comment:

teelduo said...

Wise words from my mama as always.

love you